View Single Post

Old 05-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Eternal Member

If you're only going to be there a short time, I'd recommend Carlsbad Caverns as a must. No place like it in the world. And it will entertain you for most of a day. Similar rating for White Sands though it's more of "oh my God, look at the beautiful pure sand. And why is it 110 degrees on the surface and 65 degrees less than a foot deep? Well, that was nice. Now what?" !/2 hour visit covers it, unless you picnic and sand surf, look into the Missile Range and Alamogordo, or somehow snare a visit to Trinity site. Albuquerque is a great small city with a lovely "Old Town" -- sort if a Spanish Springs on steroids. Santa Fe is yuppieville. I'd be more inclined to go out west to the Navajo reservation and drive Highway 666 just for the desolate scenery.

And try to be in the mountains around sunrise. I will never forget my first view coming out of flat Tx & Okla at Tucumcari. I was in awe, thinking to myself "Damn, the mountains really are purple."

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e