Thread: Tax Prep
View Single Post

Old 01-12-2022, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
First, not all accountants are "high priced". I am a CPA with an active practice.
I get people coming in to me all the time I recommend do their own taxes because they are simple and they would be spending unnecessary money for me to do their return.
Especially with the fact 80% of taxpayers longer itemize.
But there are returns that should be done by someone qualified. These taxpayers have more complex issues - selling property as an example (not their residence) that because of my doing taxes for many years can save the client more money than my fee.
One respondent mentions QCD's-an excellent option for retirees. Using turbotax or HR Block doesn't educate the taxpayer about this option.
As to fees I find that my fee is sometimes the same or lower than HR Block after they added all their extras. And I don't recommend HR Block where you get your taxes prepared by someone with three weeks training. They fill in the boxes but are not proactive in asking questions or suggesting ways to reduce taxes.
I recently had a client - in the villages - running their own business making a fairly good income. My reeommedation was he elect S Corp status for their LLC. He saved $4,500 in social security taxes. Does Turbotax suggest that?
That is a very well stated explanation - honest and straightforward and I agree with most of it. I think most fall under the use TurboTax catagory.
I would add that you should know about QCDs because you have seen a fee only financial planner before you retired and done your long term tax planning so you know about Roth Rollovers and QCDs and when to do them. A CPA normally won't do long term tax planning like that, although some do.

I think your most interesting point is about selling rental property as you are SPOT ON. I am actually going to be having that come up in 2026 or 2027, and I am probably going to come see you Would love to figure out a way to get around the big Gain I am going to have.
Until then, managing rental property, TurboTax works great.
Snow Flake until I retire