View Single Post

Old 01-14-2022, 06:42 AM

I'm from Minnesota and I retired in the Summer of 2019. Covid hit just as I was returning from an extended vacation in Arizona. I went from feeling footloose and fancy free to being on virtual house arrest. Covid torpedoed my planned life of endless traveling and was the catalyst for me deciding to move to Florida, where I’d escape both the cold Winters and the high Minnesota state income tax. I put my Minnesota home on the market and it sold in 3 days. The buyers set the closing date nearly 3 months out so I had lots of time to plan next steps. I did some research on the internet and discovered a planned retirement community called The Villages. What a neat idea I thought. I secured a villages rental home for after my Minnesota home sold and I flew down to do some advanced scouting via "Lifestyles Preview Visit". During my visit I was shown around by a really nice Villages employee. I found a home I liked and nearly bought it, but the seller was a greedy contractor/house-flipper who set the asking price 10's of thousands above the appraised value. Frustrated, I ditched the Villages sales team and struck out on my own to find a new home. Using MOVOTO and their nice filters, I quickly found a really nice home for a fair price. So far I love the home and being a Villager.

Last edited by OronocoCharlie; 01-14-2022 at 07:13 AM.