View Single Post

Old 01-14-2022, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
My old co-worker told me he is hesitant about considering a move to Florida due to the higher property taxes and he heard expensive hurricane insurance was required.

I can vouch that property taxes are higher than what he pays now, but not higher than what he used to pay in a bluer state. I cannot speak to hurricane insurance specifically, is it required? If so is it generally expensive (more than $100/month) with realistic deductible ($5K to $10K)?
People are people. Gossip is gossip. As to hurricane insurance, I would call an insurance company. If, you are not in Florida where ever you are assuming you have home insurance they can discuss it with you.

We've been in the Villages for 10 years and got hit with only ONE hurricane. Our home suffered no damage.

Insurance is you paying a company to accept part or all the risk. The cost of course due to competition will be according to the risk. Assuming you own the property no mortgage, you can SELF INSURE-you cover all damages to your property and damage you might cause to others..