View Single Post

Old 01-21-2022, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
Most of the responses are against testing and for many good reasons. I would have heartedly agreed 2 days ago. As of yesterday I still agree, however, not to the same degree. Yesterday I was feeling like crap. I had a stuffy runny nose, coughing, sneezing, a slight headache and a slight back ache. I happen to have 2 BinaxNOW tests kits which I bought a few months ago. So I opened one and did the test. I was expecting a negative result – probably a cold or maybe some flu symptoms. No such luck it came up positive. I immediately texted my doctor to see what, if anything, I should do. He has not, as yet, gotten back to me. I will take the second test next Saturday to see if it comes up negative. In the meantime, given that I know I have it I won’t be running around spreading it. Yesterday the symptoms were mild, not so much last night. I didn’t get any sleep as it was difficult breathing with my stuffed up nostrils and my temperature fluctuated between 99 and 102. And yes, I had both Pfizer shots and the booster. So yes, I do agree that most of this testing hysteria is uncalled for but there are a few instances where it may be prudent.
Dr Blue ash has an excellent post recently on interpreting rapid tests. The positive test is about 98% reliable. So, likely that the test was correct. When taking the next test IF it is NEGATIVE do NOT be very elated - a NEGATIVE result has a HIGH likelihood of being FALSE. The 2 different results are NOT the same as to their reliability, which becomes a little hard to wrap one's head around. But, it is VERY important.