View Single Post

Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Default Comcast, et al

Hello, Everyone,

Although I've owned a home at The Villages for about a year, I'm just now making arrangements to retire. As I look at the options for ISP services, cable, and phone, I'm kind of disgusted about the lack of commitment the "competitors" seem to display. I've looked at Embarq, Comcast, and Hughes, as well as several of the pretenders, and there seems to be a deliberate avoidance of anything concrete upon which to make a decision.

There are all the caveats about upload speeds, download speeds, package costs, and heaven knows what else. There is no direct mention about any download limit, in the event of streaming video, and, of course, there's the obligatory "package special price" that expires once the subscriber is "hooked".

Has anyone looked at Magicjack or Ooma for phone service? I'd be interested to know if there's experience, good or bad. It looks like any bundles should be examined purely on the basis on ISP and TV service. Phone can be piggybacked onto the ISP using Magicjack or Ooma. Then, the question is, "What is the best combination/experience, a bundle with Comcast, or an ISP and Direct TV/Dish?"

Am I missing anything here?

The Dukester