Thread: Gas so $$$
View Single Post

Old 03-16-2022, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
To me it makes no sense to spend at least $40k to buy an electric car even if I could afford to which I can't. We have a 2007 Chevy HHR and a 2008 Saturn Aura which had a combined cost of less than $10k, purchased used. They both have the same 4 cylinder engine and both get 34 to 35 mpg. on the highway. Buying a used hybrid or electric car would be a gamble because of the cost of replacing the battery pack which could fail. The gas powered cars will last much longer if maintained. At this stage in our lives we do not want to finance a vehicle purchase so a new hybrid or electric, or gas car purchase, is out of the question
It is also ridiculous to believe that offering a tax credit for purchasing an EV is any incentive to those that do not itemize or even pay any taxes to begin with. Tell me that the gov will pay for my EV, not give me tax credit and I might consider it.
If everyone is so hot on using less oil then why don't they put electric charging strips in every lane of every highway so the batteries can be charged as you drive? Until a battery pack can be made cheaply that will get you four miles on a charge AND recharge in a matter of a few minutes, an electric car is only good for the inner city, or short commutes to work. Like I have said before, long lines sitting for hours on the side of the road waiting to charge their vehicles for a couple of hours is not feasible.
Do I care about the air quality? Well the air quality is better now than when I was a kid and we have a larger population and more fossil fueled machines. Want make the air cleaner, start with banning all AIR travel on anything other than balloons.

Last edited by Byte1; 03-16-2022 at 01:50 PM.