View Single Post

Old 04-08-2022, 08:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
A cousin keeps sending "forwards" of e-mails with linked videos and websites and animated memes. I keep telling her I don't read them, I don't even open them, I just delete them because they're a security risk. She says a friend sent them to her so she knows they're safe. I gave up trying to explain that her friend didn't send them "to her." She sent it to everyone on her address list, as she was instructed to do at the bottom of that forwarded "message."

It's like some folks have totally forgotten how intrusive and annoying and potentially dangerous "chain letters" used to be, back in the days of actual chain letters.

They always ended up scamming people out of money (remember you'd get a dollar back from 10,000 people if everyone followed the chain by forwarding a copy of the letter on, and sending $1 back to the person named on the top of the list?)

It was a scam then, it's a scam now. Don't even OPEN forwarded mail from ANYONE, not even your mom, unless you personally requested it.
Sadly, I agree. And there is a simple solution that would solve the problem and protect everyone. And it is incredibly easy to implement. DON'T CLICK LINKS IN EMAILS.

That's it. It is that simple. If NO ONE did it, the scammers would not make any money doing it, and would stop. The only reason they do it is people fall for it and they make money. The same is true of the spam phone calls, if no one fell for them, they would stop.