View Single Post

Old 04-20-2022, 07:46 PM
Default detecting sinkholes

Thanks for the link on the geology paper for central FL In some cases it is possible to detect sinkholes using geophysical methods. One is ground penetrating radar(GPR). The depth of detection is inversely proportional to the frequency. But the resolution is lower for lower frequencies. So using higher frequencies gives more detail but won't detect as deep. Ground penetrating radar devices are very expensive. There are companies out there that can do a study of your property. You can easily find them with a search engine. I would put one here, but someone might think that I am promoting it and have an interest in their business.

If you are an electronics enthusiast I saw some plans on how to build one, but I am not sure of its performance, and so far I haven't found a link for the source code.

You could use statistics to formally look for a correlation between elevation and sinkholes. Those with lower elevation though are also closer to layers where the FL aquifer is, and where conduits and caves would form. So GPR would not have as far to go to reach that layer. Clay soils and moisture greatly affect GPR by reducing the range of the signal. Under those conditions you may not get the detection depth that you want.