View Single Post

Old 06-09-2022, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
And you ("generic" you) NEVER drive over 70MPH on the FL Tpk or US 75 or exceed the limit on any other local road? What's with this "legal obsession" of many of exceeding 20MPH in a lawnmower, I mean GC. Driving 24 in a GC is a hellava lot safer than 75 -90 on the highways. NO ONE ever exceeds ANY speed limits? Roads or GC's ?? Anyone who says they don't (in a car) is a liar or worse, a "left lane Louie" .
First of all, I disagree that going 75 on a highway where the speed limit is more dangerous than speeding in a golf cart. What causes accidents on highways is not speed, it's weaving in and out of lanes.

The thing to look at here is percentage over the speed limit. 75 on a highway where the speed limit is 70 is 7% over the limit. Going 25 in your golf cart and you're 25% over the limit. Your not going 25% over a speed limit but over the limit which requires your vehicle to be registered and insured.

The big difference is that if you get stopped for going 75 on the turnpike, (which will never happen) you'll get a ticket and maybe a $100 fine. If you get stopped for going 25 on a street in your cart you'll be cited for driving an unregistered vehicle which carries a fine of at least $600 and possible loss of license.

You'll probably never get stopped for going 24 mph or less. The problem occurs if you get into an accident. At that point, the authorities will test your cart for maximum speed and if it's over 20, you could be in very serious trouble.

And, of course, comparing a golf cart to a lawn mower is absurd as everyone recognizes. The only purpose for making a statement like that is to annoy people. I wonder why anyone would want to do that.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.