View Single Post

Old 06-09-2022, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,873 Times in 5,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&JenC View Post
We close on our new home (Village of DeLuna) in 2 weeks. Is it worth getting a regular home inspection on a brand new home? This is our first new home so we're not sure about this. Is the new home guarantee enough protection? it would be nice to save a few bucks, I guess. I'm in favor of getting it, the wife not so much.
I would recommend doing a professional inspection about a month or so before the one-year warranty expires. Frank D'Angelo is probably the best. But, when you move in, you should do your own detailed inspection. Inspect the countertops for chips and cracks, especially if they are granite or quartz. Run your finger along every edge top and bottom and feel for a chip. Inspect the seams for tightness. Inspect all porcelain plumbing fixtures for cracks. Inspect every window for fogging between the panes. Open and close every door to make sure they latch properly. Use a good flashlight to inspect all ceilings for roof leaks, even in the closets. Walk on every part of the floors to check for loose tiles or squeaks. Shine the flashlight parallel to the long walls to check for excessive dips and bows in the drywall. Buy an outlet tester and check every electrical outlet. Use a level to check the levelness of the countertops and cabinets. Shine the flashlight in the accessible attic areas and look for good insulation coverage. When it rains, check for proper drainage around the house and make sure the gutters don't leak. Inspect all concrete slabs for cracks. Those are some of the things I would do. The Villages warranty department will fix anything you find.