View Single Post

Old 06-15-2022, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJim View Post
An ETF is an individual stock. Stop Loss orders are a good way to take a loss on a spike down and then miss the rebound. Better thing to do is to put together a well balanced portfolio and ride out the daily ups and down with an eye to long term performance. Unless you are a trader, you should just set your portfolio up and forget about it on a daily basis. If you are a trader, skip the stop loss and spend every day watching the market ticks.
I have a friend where we regularly discuss investments with. I did this and why kind of stuff. I regularly laugh at the thought we should set it up and let it ride the ups and downs. Warren Buffet labeled the greatest stock picker has stated he rarely beats the S&P 500. Warren Buffet has stated most of us should simply buy the index. Confession. I look every day, as does my friend. Over fifteen years, easy to access information, for a year I beat the S&P once or twice, So roughly 13x a simple average, which you/we can buy, beat me.

It does make me wonder who or what is moving what we call THE MARKET. I've never used a stop loss. Automatic, with me tends to get forgotten so I've lost control.
Wrong terms but I use a stop buy and a stop sell. I never buy or sell at market price.
When buying I place an offer to buy at $. The same with selling. In my IRA where short term tax is not an issue. You/we will pay short term tax on it even if held long term-RMDs. If, I get the stock at MY offered price, I often put in a good till cancelled sell order