View Single Post

Old 06-16-2022, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,427 Times in 5,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Sometimes I think it's more a cultural thing than anything else.

In our time here we've befriended some locals and appreciated their frankness when talking about things. Some Villagers (certainly not all) do exhibit an entitlement mentality when dealing with locals such as those who provide lawn services, landscaping services, etc. and can come across as antagonistic when things are not done to their satisfaction. An attitude in such dealings that might be perfectly OK in, say, NY, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, etc., would NOT be well-received here. It may just provoke a response in kind, and truthfully I can fully understand a response along the lines of "go find someone else", judging from the ways I've witnessed some Villagers interact with non-Villagers.

The culture of the resident population where The Villages is located is different from the culture where most of us come from, often vastly different. It would behoove us to remember that rather than just fall back on old habits when things don't go quite the way we want them. Courtesy and consideration go a long way here, and I've never yet had to pay a price for being courteous.
Very well said