Thread: Bond questions
View Single Post

Old 06-17-2022, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
We paid off our bond. We calculated the break-even point to be about seven years (YMMV). We felt we would be in this house long enough that we would save money by not paying 8+ years of interest.

Some would argue that with a 3% interest rate you will be better off by investing the money. That's a good theory and sometimes it works to your advantage. However, if we had invested that $18,000 we would have something like $14,000 today and still have a bond payment due. Given what we are seeing today, we are happy with the choice we made.
Another perhaps not true this year. Investments, my statement shows I've been up every year for the past 15. This year I am down. The first in 15 years. On top of that the consumer price index is up almost 9%. Since, we pay that with after tax dollars, to be even you need to make ??? 12-14%. Please don't tell me it is only 11.7% for you, it is close enough for all of us.

People on this site will argue about anything. There is some interesting stuff. I would check out anything. As I've posted before legal, investment, even lawn care I would check out anything, even my posts, Before acting.