View Single Post

Old 06-22-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr0773 View Post
Hello,
I have a garden area in the backyard (I'm in a Villa) that I would like to water using a drip irrigation system. I realize I could tap off of the existing zone that is in the same area, but I want the drip zone to run at a different schedule as the more established palms and shrubs, would be overwatered if they received the same amount of watering as the drip zone would require.

I am skilled at installing the system, but the only problem is adding a new zone to the existing system off the irrigation main would be a huge project and very costly. Using the nearby hose bib and drip system there is no need for trenching and burying pipe as it is a surface based system. (below the rock "mulch")

Wondering if there are any thoughts on Villages-specific issues using the hose bib for the drip zone (with a properly installed backflow preventer, etc.). I understand the general issues here and the water cost concerns, just wondering if there are Villages related issues you can think of.

(Please keep responses relevant to the subject asked.. I don't want this to turn into a "I hate the Villages irrigation systems" thread or something similar... that is not the point here.)

Thanks in advance.
I can't imagine there being any issues, as far as The Villages is concerned. I've seen this done several times, and there are kits available (as I'm sure you're aware of) that makes this very doable.

And you're correct about adding another zone to your existing irrigation system. Not a quick job. Also, I've read many posts suggesting not to water using reclaimed water, if you're growing veggies. Of course if you live north of 466, your irrigation water is potable.