View Single Post

Old 06-22-2022, 10:18 AM
Default Foods I'm looking for near the villages

Editing as I find something new:

On water: I always go with the 5 gallon jug refill station. I used to work at a bottled water plant in Hawaii and since then I could always taste the tap difference anywhere. If it isn't up to my standards I don't drink it. The only other water I was okay with was if they had a home filter. But at some of those prices I just refill the 5 gal at Walmart for $1.45.

Smoke detector: I set mine off a couple times late night cooking. Still getting used to but I seem to have it under control. I love cooking blackened mahi and ahi. The SmokeD loves to go off when I cook that way even if there's no puffs of smoke, it's pretty sensitive. So now I turn the fan over the oven on, plus my living room fan, and open the sliding glass door to let air circulate before turning the heat up high. So to save yourself the high pitched noise - it eventually goes off under a min - turn those fans on early if cooking similar.

Garbagemen: They come early 2x a week so have your trash out the night before. One morning I heard the truck at 6:45am and saw them picking up from my neighbors across the street. Thought dang I missed it, but looked down my street and saw neighbors on my side with bags out. So where I live these guys go down one side and then turn and come back up the other side. So I quicky grabbed my box and small bag and put it out, and saw later that they had taken it coming back around. But don't let it get to that last minute stuff if you really need trash hauled.

Village gates: Do not try and piggyback behind someone. Those arms come down fast after the vehicle in front of you passes through. Even if you think you have quick reactions at a stop light, save yourself the repair bill and wait until it raises again for your vehicle. I lived in a complex with a slow gate before moving here and you could piggyback at normal speed there before the gate closed. Not so in the Villages.

Golf Cars: secure your stuff. Navigating through some curves in the path can send things flying easily even when not going that fast. If it's that important when it flies off to go retrieve it then secure it first. I lost a water bottle (was a bit too big for the holes) and spent 15 minutes trying to find it with no luck. I know a guy who lost his expensive prescription glasses. Save yourself the inconvenience of hunting for your lost stuff or checking lost and found.

Farmer's Market: There's a nice one in Brownwood going on mostly every Saturday. Only a short golf cart ride away for me and it's very convenient. Prices range from pretty good to a little high.

(foods I'm looking for here: a great fresh fish market, cinnamon raisin eng muffins that are not Thomas brand - yuck)

Last edited by mikeycereal; 04-30-2023 at 08:07 AM.