Thread: Gas Tax Holiday
View Single Post

Old 06-23-2022, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Let's examine those concepts a bit further:

First of all, does anyone think it is likely that big oil would sacrifice profits today for fear of declining profit in the distant future????? I doubt it.

Second---EVs. Where do people think the electricity comes from???? Latest data for our sources of electricity:

Coal---------------33.2%
Natural gas----32.7%
Nuclear----------19.5%
Hydro---------------6.1%
Wind----------------4.7%
Solar----------------0.6%

This does not include heating and cooling homes from fossil fuels and industrial applications, so you could replace every internal combustion engine with EV and not make a dent in the carbon footprint, not that it matters since global warming is a myth anyway.

Third------"alternative fuel vehicle"---which, besides EV which is powered as listed above, is just what??? I haven't seen a nuclear reactor on a car since the Delorean in "back to the future". 40,000 pound windmill on top of a 3,000 pound car? Mobile waterfall????? 500 sq. ft. of solar panels on a mini cooper???

Fourth, to respond to some other posts, my understanding is that there are 2 parts to drilling on federal land---first, permission to lease the land and second a permit to actually drill on it. The government is more than happy to collect the rent for leasing the land, but this administration has issue exactly ZERO permits to actually drill on it. Must be Putin's fault. Also, there has not been a new refinery built in the US since 1974. Who thinks that is due to "greedy oil companies" and who thinks that is due to ridiculously overburdening environmental regulations? Hint: oil companies sell refined products.
Now you have done it, confused people with facts that they do not want to hear.