View Single Post

Old 06-29-2022, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Our grass - Zoysia, is doing OK so far this year. But not great. Irrig and feeding is fine, but never had our lawn (8 years old) aerated or de thatched.

We use Dean’s for fertilizing but would prefer your personal feedback. Is it too late in season to have these services done?
We also have empire zoysia like most lawn issues, thatch builds over years. According to my reading it should be dethatched every three years. It opens up the lawn. It can encourage weeds. With empire zoysia it is in it's prime growing season so NOW is a good time to have it done or to do it.

We have a 5,000 sq foot lawn. I bought an amateur grade machine, if I recall from wallmart for $100. Due to a far too small catch thing, I found quickly to just not use it but, to use a fan rake to pick up all the stuff it removed. I took out of my lawn roughly 20 of those large paper lawn bags and I really packed it down and filled to the top. It is work. I did one section at a time. so not too bad.

Aerating, my view a waste of time and money. Those plugs they take out go down about two inches. A properly cared for lawn has roots down around 8 inches or more.
I did aerate sort of my lawn. We have sandy clay soil in most of the villages. Also a lot of work. I did one section at a time. I took an old auger bit, largest made 1.5 inches.
I cut off the pyramid mount and put it into a 3 foot extension so I did not need to bend.
With my rechargeable drill a fairly powerful one, I drilled holes down 6 inches every 3-4 inches in my lawn and I filled them with manure. It took 70 50 lb bags. My lawn needs far less watering than others due to the organic matter. It also makes our too alkaline
soil, more acidic. Our PH was 7.5 now holding at 6.8. 6.5 is ideal for grass.