View Single Post

Old 07-05-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp243 View Post
So, if the shooting numbers aren’t due to people with legal guns, what is your solution to the issue?
With 400 million people we will always have shootings. We can trade freedoms for safety. I would think that is something many would find unacceptable. In NYC we had stop and frisk (done away when DeBlasio was mayor). It was extremely effective in reducing shootings. It was also far from what I expect or want in a free country. Taking place in high crime areas such as Washington Heights, the great majority of people stopped were minorities who lived there. Innocent people, a Dominican Dad working the late shift to support his family would be hassled and frisked because he was on the street at night returning from his job. Same situation as many call for now, restrict the rights of law abiding citizen gun holders in the name of reducing crime. Actions like stop and frisk, gun bans, will reduce crimes but at what cost. Both are unacceptable.
To control the shootings and decrease crime, elect/appoint DAs who will prosecute crime. Get a tighter control on immigration. Realize that diversity on its own is not automatically a positive. Bringing in people from diverse backgrounds is great, but if they do not melt into one people it is not. Countries with a national character, homogenous countries like Japan have lower crime. Punishing law abiding people in the name of increased safety is not something I am willing to accept.