View Single Post

Old 07-18-2022, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyPye View Post
Upon visiting and finally setting here in The Villages, I have been hearing both on and off notices about groups of golfers that roam the many golf courses around here attempting to play the game with little to no knowledge of the sport.

From what I have heard, they somehow can obtain tee times to some of the lesser played courses and try to play the game. They seem to play either as an attempt to fit into the community, or they feel they have to play just because they have access to the courses. When they do play, they use mismatched clubs that could have come from a rogue pawn shop or from an estate sale. One troupe I have heard about uses only one club for each and every shot, while another group uses whatever clubs they could get their hands on that may not be of any physical condition for play.

The object of the game for these amateur players is to hit the ball until it lands in the hole, no matter how many hits it may take or how it even gets into the hole. It may take them multiple hours to complete a game if they decide to finish a game played as they might just quit immediately through frustration. They even treat their clubs by tossing them about as if they were excess baggage or as a bunch of wooden sticks shoved in a narrow leather-type bag. No scores are taken either. It’s to play just for the sake of playing.

I have tried to find such groups going around to no avail. Has anyone spotted these groups of playing going around, and if so, how are they tolerated with others that play that have some knowledge of the rules of the game? And how are these inexperienced golf teams treated? Are they treated with hostility, or are they just ignored and play through until they are out of the way of others?

Thanks to all responders to this inquiry.
Are you looking for playing partners? Would make sense as you stated in previous threads you have “little to no knowledge of the sport”.