View Single Post

Old 07-31-2022, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

I have bought multiple versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator over the years, each time meaning to actually learn to fly them. I've gone from a version for the Commodore 64 that fit on a single 160 Kb floppy diskette and ran at 300 x 200 monochrome resolution through multiple PC and Windows versions to the current version running on an Xbox Series X that runs at 4K, 24-bit color resolution and which takes over 300 gigabytes of storage on the internal drive. I've even got a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas One joystick and throttle controller plus the matching TFRP flight pedals. Trouble is, some of the controller mapping is wrong on the joystick (apparently a known problem on the internet) and my attention span for it just isn't adequate for learning all the ins and outs of this incredible simulator. I can take off, fly around a bit and even land sometimes, but it's mostly just buzzing around and checking out the scenery. I was amazed that I could take off from the little landing strip off of Rolling Acres Road and fly around The Villages and recognize a lot of what I saw (though the houses are all dynamically generated and don't look at all like either of the houses I've owned here). Still, lots of fun.