View Single Post

Old 08-01-2022, 01:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

I looked into both recently and purchased X-plane. I have flown some others in the past, but not much in the last few decades.

I chose X-Plane over MS Flight Sim for two reasons.

1. I prefer Macintosh and X-Plane runs nicely on my new M1 Mac. I could run MS Flight Sim on my iMacPro in Bootcamp running Windows, but I hate to do that, having to constantly be booting back and forth between the two different operating systems.

2. In reading reviews of the two, MS Flight Sim seems to be more "entertainment" and X-Plane seems to be obsessive about sim accuracy. I know a lot of people will say MS is getting better at being a sim, or maybe even is better, but that takes me back to reason 1. And with third party add-ons and the upcoming massive update to X-Plane 12, the visuals are competitive - not as good as MS Flight Sim, but competitive. If you want flight accuracy, then X-Plane is still the best choice in my not so humble opinion. I really am enjoying the flight school built into X-Plane. Step by step learning.

Anyway, just my opinion. I don't have as much time as I hoped to play with it, but I take it out occasionally and fly around some. Loads of fun!