View Single Post

Old 08-01-2022, 05:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,107 Times in 4,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The statement/fact/rumor that it is a "felony" has been here longer than I. I'd love to see the actual Florida statute that states this. I find it hard to believe that not only driving a golf cart at 20.1 mph but simply owning one capable of going 20.1 mph (on a public road) ranks up there with robbing a bank or carjacking or assault with a deadly weapon. (Yes, I realize there are different degrees of felonies). Can anyone imagine a "trial" where a judge sentences an 85 year old great grandmother to over 1 year in state prison for driving an "unregistered" golf cart???? She could share a cell with a mass murderer for her "felony"
Actually, it didn't take long to find the answer (and dispel the "felony" rumor):

According to Florida statute 320.02;

"Penalties for Unregistered Motor Vehicle Charges
Late registration with a fee will help you avoid criminal charges, but if you are cited for driving without a valid registration, the penalties can be severe. Failing to register your vehicle in the state of Florida while you have resided here for over 6 months will result in a misdemeanor charge of the second-degree, punishable by any combination of the following:

Up to sixty (60) days of jail time;
Up to six (6) months of probation or community control; and
Up to five hundred dollars ($500) in fines.
Penalties can vary depending on the length of the lapse in registration."

So much for the "felony" charge and the 8+ year unfounded rumors.