View Single Post

Old 08-30-2022, 04:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
You can "demand" anything you want, convincing some one else to pay you is another thing, its called competition, if you can play what is a game for children at a very high level your abilities are worth a lot as an entertainer , watching on TV/or video doesn't give a good appreciation of the physical abilities of the athlete what ever the worth financially, CEOs are put in place by ownership in an effort to keep the business profitable, the only reason it can exist, of course there are examples of dumb ,ill-considered moves on the part of CEOs of large corporation,( in hindsight) Say what you will about capitalism but it has allowed for creation of the wealthiest period in human history, yes I know not for everyone, (is there a government program that supplies crying towels? ) Much of this is due to the ability to manage all the variables, insight into what is and the creative abilities of good management. A top CEO is worth much more than an entertainer to the people who hold equity in the business, those who make their living working for the business.
To me that is not always true. I negotiated a contract for a local union with CBS out of New York. I entered it with a bad hand due to the fact that other locals had agreed to a figure that I found unacceptable. It was a 3-year contract the first year with 0 increase. The argument on management side was that the local station was not generating enough revenue. I negotiated
for some other provisions and refused to sign a 3-year contract, so I would not be tied with the other local.
Now the issue I have with the CEO, is he is responsible for the entire company and if that's the case, then he should have been responsible for the New York market. While CBS was claiming poverty in New York the CEO salary was $85 million that year.
Look I'm not saying you shouldn't fight for what you believe your worth, but everyone should be allowed to demand what they want.
There was a line from of my favor movies titled Other People's Money: I play the game you make as much money as you can and who ever dies with the most money wins.