View Single Post

Old 09-08-2022, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,338 Times in 2,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
Schaefer stadium opened in 1971. First game was a disaster at halftime. The first time all the toilets were flushed at the same time. Huge mess.
The lines at Schaefer stadium to pee were much shorter if you used a sink, drain in the bathroom floor, or one of the trash cans, and no flushing required.

Went to the Monday night Football game at Schaefer against the Steelers in 1979 and it was on of the craziest things I ever experienced. Never saw so many totally drunk fans in one place in my life, hundred of fans were handcuffed to the chain link fence around the stadium because they couldn’t haul away people fast enough in the paddy wagons. After the game the Foxboro select board voted to ban Monday night football unless no alcohol was sold. Monday night football didn’t return for 14 years.

Also was at the final game of the season at Schaefer stadium in 1985, when the Patriots beat Boomer Esiason and the Cincinnati Bengals to make the playoffs. After the game several fans, including myself, rushed the stadium field and tore down the goalposts. After that I left, but a bunch of fans decided it would be a good idea to carry one of the goalposts out of the stadium and bring it to the parking lot across the street. They proceeded to carry it right into some electrical wires and got severely shocked. That place was absolutely crazy back in the day before Kraft bought the team and cleaned things up.