View Single Post

Old 09-13-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lansky View Post
Hi All,

I'm seriously considering moving to the Villages. My career in Government has become too stressful, and i've come to the realization that it's just not worth the risk to my health.
I'm in the Govt too, so my first question is it Govt work or just your job? Its an important distinction because if its just your job there are tons of remote jobs out there. I was in the DC rat race and switched my position to remote and moved to TV. I took a hit on the locality part of my pay, but my quality of life and stress is way low. I still have ~5 years until retirement, but I honestly may go for 7 years since its working out so well.

I looked into jobs around TV and its pretty depressing. As an example, a cybersecurity engineer TV had an opening for was paying $46-$49k where here in DC the pay would be $130k. Even jobs such as a security guard seem to make $6-$8 less an hour than around TV. I can't honestly say if its the location or what, but the pay gets better down near Tampa.

If your a Fed and want some pointers feel free to DM me and I can point you in the right direction (sorry-don't know anything about state jobs). I don't think I would move to TV unless you had a good paying job as there is none here. You can always find a job, but you'll be working long hours just to scrape by. In my opinion, thats not the kind of life you want.