View Single Post

Old 09-24-2022, 07:32 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I moved here in summer of 2021. When I first arrived, there was a sign on Meggison just north of Warm Springs that says the spot is the future location of Hope Lutheran Church. There has been no activity in the last 15 months. Does anyone have any idea when they might actually start building the church?

Also, last summer there was a rumor that there was going to be a new Catholic church in the south section. I have not heard anything since the original rumor. Is that still in the works? Or has it been abandoned?

The population in the south is continuing to grow. Since that time, they have built Cason Hammock, St. Johns, Richmond, and Deluna, and they are starting to build Newell and are working on Middleton and Eastport.
My Catholic friends sometimes seem a little mystified by us Protestants…….

I always tell them to just look at the root of the word ‘Protestant’ and that explains a lot because countless variations of Protestant denominations have sprung from Martin Luther’s original ‘protest.’ If someone wants to go to a Protestant church, a fit can be found.

For instance, there are 3 different kinds of Lutheran churches — that I know of — might be more.

Hope Lutheran is ELCA. The ELCA allows women to be ordained as pastors. (gasp. ) The ELCA invites all Christians to communion.

The Missouri Synod and the Wisconsin Synod do not allow women as pastors — and they used to have closed communion — but I don’t know if they still do. My guess is probably.

But if you are Lutheran, you already know this stuff — and all the other stuff those differences entail.

If looking for a Protestant denomination that falls nicely between ELCA Lutheran and Catholic, someone searching might find Episcopalian to be a good match.

Episcopalians are sometimes known kiddingly as “Catholic Light” or “Diet Catholic.” I have heard it said that Episcopalians get all of the pageantry with none of the guilt.” Works for me.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-24-2022 at 07:39 AM.