View Single Post

Old 10-02-2022, 06:58 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I hear ya, Dr. Boogie,

You might like the Episcopal denomination. It has been called “Catholic Light” or “Diet Catholic” — and it is sometimes kiddingly said, “With the Episcopal church, you get all of the pageantry but none of the guilt.” (An Episcopal service is very much like a Catholic service….but not quite.)

In the Episcopal church, there are two sacraments instead of seven like the Catholic Church. The two sacraments are Baptism and the Eucharist. (Most Prostestant churches have two sacraments instead of seven.)

Episcopal priests can marry and women can be ordained as priests. But even though it is not considered a sacrament, Episcopal priests do the Anointing of the Sick.

A good Episcopal priest will keep politics from tearing apart a congregation — as all clergy should……..but I know how it goes sometimes……..with some churches that let politics wreck things……

(and, as an aside comment, I know there are some churches throughout the country with leaders that have become so focused on politics that I think they should lose their tax-exempt status.)

But…..I digress — back to topic now…….

Also, the Episcopal church does not try to dictate from the pulpit who consenting adults should love.

The Lutheran Church has 3 different synods that I know of: ELCA, Missouri Synod, and Wisconsin Synod. (I am pretty sure there are more. But I know these 3 are represented in or near TV.)

Of those 3 Synods, the Missouri Synod and the Wisconsin Synod are considered conservative. Those two synods do not ordain women and, unless things have changed, they practice closed communion……

But the ELCA ordains women and invites all Christians to their communion. Hope Lutheran in TV is ELCA.

The United Church of Christ, which is just outside TV, is another church you might try.

I don’t know much about Methodist doctrine, but the big Methodist church in TV seems to be very active and does a lot of good outreach to help people in the area. (I guess they still do. When we bought new appliances in 2014, we gave the old ones (they worked) - to the Methodists who came to pick them up for a project they were doing to assist people with housing,)

Anyway, I wish you well…..and I understand your journey……because I have been there.

TV has so many choices of churches that you should be able to find something that works for you.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-02-2022 at 07:10 AM.