View Single Post

Old 11-03-2022, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know how the car market has changed because of inflation and supply issues, but, typically, you should be able to buy a new car for about 3 percent less than the MSRP plus sales tax and registration. Period. In the past, it has taken me less than 30 minutes to get that price. I would never spend 4 hours discussing the price with a dealer. I politely give the dealer a take it or leave it "out the door" price, and give them 15 minutes. No "negotiation". If they reject the price, I just leave. If it is presented correctly, they will almost always accept the price because they don't want to lose the sale. I have bought a lot of cars that way.
I've known people that dearly love to dicker with a car salesman until they reach the agreed-upon price. Me? I'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than try bargaining with a guy on his home turf who knows the exact cutoff point on price, while I sit there like a pumpkin in Linus's pumpkin patch thinking to myself that no matter what price we've agreed upon, I'm still getting screwed. I break out in a cold sweat every time we need to buy a new car. I'd gladly hire someone to dicker for me just so I could watch the car salesman sweat instead of me, and then I'd walk out with a nonchalant "No thanks" reverberating through the showroom.