View Single Post

Old 11-15-2022, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
I would start a new thread, if I knew how to. Question is tipping on take out. During covid when many restaurants were take out only, I tipped on orders I picked up the same as I would if eating at the location. Servers were hit hard and I'm doing ok. Now that it is over, tipping on take out seems to have become a standard thing. Picking up a pizza ($35.00 for a pizza, what is happening), getting Chinese take out. When you go to pay many now ask how much to tip. Some give suggestions from 15%, 20%, 22%. I generally will give 10%, but do not fully understand what that is for. When dining in the tip is for service during the meal, interaction, bussing etc.. Do people tip on take out, and if so how much?
If they bring the order to me at the curb, I give them a buck or two.
If I have to go in (or to a drive-thru) and they just pass it to me over the counter or through the window, they get no tip.

Restaurant owners don't have to pay tipped employees the usual minimum wage. That would be bartenders and waitstaff. Everyone else gets minimum wage.

It's a minimum wage job. Non-waitstaff and non-bartenders don't rely on tips for their pay to equal $11/hour. Only waitstaff and bartenders do. So they're the only ones that get my tips.

The take-out person who hands you a bag is getting minimum wage (or better). Toss'em a buck if it makes you feel better, but don't add a tip to the credit card charge - or you might end up discovering that the waiter inside the place who you never even saw, who waited on other customers but not you - got a share of that tip.