View Single Post

Old 11-15-2022, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I have high frequency hearing loss and have had hearing aids for nearly 15 years that are provide to me by the Veteran's Administration. They help immensely but they do not give you the hearing ability that healthy ears provide. In crowds or in a place where there is loud noise, I have a lot of difficulty understanding what people are saying, especially women who usually have lower softer voices. As far as I know the VA provides decent quality aids so I don't believe they are the problem. I've had the hearing aids adjusted a few times but have had little effect on hearing quality. If you are expecting to hear like you did when your ears were healthy, you will be disappointed. Even with hearing aids I can't hear crickets or chirping birds. Sometimes when driving with the wife she will comment on a sound the vehicle is making and ask what it is. I don't hear the sound as it is usually a high pitched sound.
My Phonak hearing aids were pretty high end when purchased 4 years ago.
I hear the birds and even the wall clock ticking, and a lot of background noise is filtered out.
Every year the aids get better. My first ones were dire compared to the advancements made, and my next pair will definitely be better than my present ones.
You definitely do get what you pay for with hearing aids.
But.
However costly, and even with all the latest bells and whistles, loud conversation, background music, machinery, even the bloody electric kettle will overpower and negate the sound quality.
You cannot phase it out completely, as then you would hear nothing at all.
I am just grateful to have any sound I have, as without my aids, I enter a world of silence.

PS. Like OBB the noise from shrieking audiences on the television is probably the most annoying sound on earth!!

Last edited by Two Bills; 11-16-2022 at 09:15 AM.