View Single Post

Old 11-15-2022, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
You've obviously never been in the restaurant business.

Waitstaff holding out "cash tips" in a "split tips" business model (which most are) are grounds for immediate firing ... as it should be.

Bus boys, hostesses & bartenders are typically "tipped out" by other serving staff, as they contribute to easing the servers' work load.

Any restaurant that doesn't play fairly with "credit card tips", isn't going to be in business very long. The tip is clear on the CC receipt and state and federal regulators are all over this issue. It would pretty difficult to get away that for very long.

& why should anyone get paid in cash? So they can cheat on their taxes?
Even if pooling tips is the practice at a restaurant, I still tip in cash even if I pay the bill with a credit card. The waitperson sees the tip and knows that it is because he/she did a good job. Conversely, a smaller-than-normal tip gets the opposite message across. A line on a credit card payment slip…not so much.

Back in the day, I would tip using $2 bills or in dollar coins. In some Asian restaurants, Chinese especially, a $2 bill is considered good luck. A $6 tip in the form of three $2 bills got remembered a whole lot more than, say, six $1’s. It is good to be remembered in a positive light when returning to a restaurant. It guarantees good service.