View Single Post

Old 11-16-2022, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORBILL66 View Post
Yes, I am a retired postal employee, you need to sign up for Part B within 8 months of retiring. Medicare will pay the first 80% and your government plan will cover the other 20%. I have GEHA standard option and don't pay any medical expenses. You have to sign up for Part B through Social Security. Don't be late or you will have to pay an extra 10% per year the rest of your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines View Post
This is not true for all Federal employees....only for Postal employees. There are efforts to make it applicable to all employees, but no traction on this effort so I don't expect to see this anytime soon.
When I was looking into this I saw no mention of special Part B rules for postal employees. Please check to make sure of the rules for your specific situation. From what I was able to find, Gatorbill's statement also applies to me, a non-postal federal retiree.

The two rules I saw were:
- If you are currently retired and less than 65 then you must enroll in Part B within the window around your 65th birthday
- if you turn 65 before you retire then you have an eight month eligibility window once you retire

Miss the window that applies to you and you may need to pay a lifetime late-enrollment penalty.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough