View Single Post

Old 11-16-2022, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
When I was looking into this I saw no mention of special Part B rules for postal employees. Please check to make sure of the rules for your specific situation. From what I was able to find, Gatorbill's statement also applies to me, a non-postal federal retiree.

The two rules I saw were:
- If you are currently retired and less than 65 then you must enroll in Part B within the window around your 65th birthday
- if you turn 65 before you retire then you have an eight month eligibility window once you retire

Miss the window that applies to you and you may need to pay a lifetime late-enrollment penalty.
There is a penalty for delaying enrollment into Medicare. I think it is 10 percent for every year that you delay the enrollment, but it only applies to the basic, $164.90 per month amount, not to the IRMAA amount, if that applies. But, it sounded like Gatorbill was saying that you were required to sign up for Medicare Part B. That is not true. Enrollment in Medicare is optional for Federal retirees. You are not required to have Medicare Part B at all.