View Single Post

Old 11-18-2022, 08:26 AM

Agree with no need to brine. The compound butter under the skin is necessary, I use chopped fresh sage with butter S&P. At the first baste, use a can of chicken broth poured over bird and then baste every 30 minutes or so. Take it out when thickest part of thigh is 160, not 165, and tent loosely with foil - it will get to 165 from carry over cooking and not overcook the breast meat that way. Also, start with the bird not straight out of the fridge. A cold bird in a hot oven equals tight protein. I prep the bird on Wednesday (wash; truss; stuff cavity with fresh thyme & sage, a peeled onion and an apple; put compound butter under the skin; S&P over the whole bird) and then put it back in the fridge in the roasting pan uncovered overnight. Thursday morning I take it out and it sits on the counter for about 30 minutes. Then it goes into the cold oven and the bird and the oven preheat together to 325. Let the turkey rest at least 30 minutes before carving, I usually wait about an hour to carve it while all of the sides cook once the turkey comes out of the oven because oven real estate is the Thanksgiving challenge - not the bird. Don't let the bird intimidate you!

Last edited by Lisanp@aol.com; 11-18-2022 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo