View Single Post

Old 11-18-2022, 09:04 AM
Location: Currently Michigan soon to be living in The village of St John’s
Default Brine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Absolutely! Brine for 24 hours before cooking. Then roast immediately.

Couple of other hints…

Season by rubbing your choice of seasoning mixed with soft butter under the skin of the breast. It is loose enough to get your hand between the skin and the breast meat. We use salt, pepper, and sage. Poultry seasoning works too. Rub liberally onto the breast meat just before roasting.

Do NOT stuff the bird with stuffing. Cook the stuffing separately instead. My wife puts a small onion (quartered) onto the cavity alone with a couple of crushed garlic cloves and a sprig of fresh sage (1 stem, leaves stay whole). The cavity stuffing if for aromatic purposes only. Toss out when done.

Roast to a temp. Of 165 degrees f. Take the temp. By inserting you thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh meat, NOT the breast. Parts of a whole turkey cook to different temps, and cooking to that thigh temp. Insures doneness.

Let the turkey rest (out of the oven) for 15 minutes before carving.
This is EXACTLY how I cook my Turkey with the exception of the herbs inside the cavity I use fresh poultry blend (sage, rosemary, thyme) and I let it rest about 30 minutes, absolutely DELICIOUS 😋