View Single Post

Old 11-23-2022, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower7330@gmail.com View Post
My wife and I have considering moving to TV. We have visited all the squares and we rented a house on the south side for a month a few weeks ago. We love all the activity and energy from TV.
The one sticky point is the grand kids. They are in PA and my wife is having a huge problem trying to justify the move and missing the grand kids.
We have proposed doing a reverse snow bird where we would spend 3 or 4 months in PA in the summer time while the kids are off from school. The parents were not thrilled with us moving away and have not been very supportive.
Would love to hear some opinions on this subject.
Thank you
I suppose every situation is different, and I did admit that I WAS concerned about it when we first moved, but it turned out to be a needless worry. We do not see the kids and grandkids as often as we might like, but the quality of the time we do spend with them is far better. Most of our grandkids are older (only two out of seven still in high school, but we see a lot of each other. For example a grandson (stationed at Englin AFB in the panhandle, part of an Army special-forces group) will be arriving this afternoon to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with us, and my oldest granddaughter is coming down for twelve days during the beginning of December. And of the part with kids still in school--they've made it down en masse the past two winters to spend about a week with us each time. Florida in February is far more attractive than that tundra country called Minnesota.

It works the other way too. It is only about three hours from Orlando to Minneapolis non-stop and Sun Country has very reasonable fares. I flew to Minneapolis this past August to visit the kids/grandkids and it cost me less than $200 round trip.

All in all, we're as close as we ever were (maybe even closer) even though the contact is somewhat less.