View Single Post

Old 11-26-2022, 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=Kathy B.;2160375]This is a tough one. We’re lucky; my parents bought here in TV over 30 years ago, so the kids have been visiting since they were toddlers, and they love it here. When we bought our house and I expressed my concerns to my eldest son, he said, “Mom, we’re closer to grandma & grandpa who go to FL than we are to our grandparents who are here all year.” It told me it really is quality over quantity. Here are some things we do to help:
*We go back to MN in the summers and “overdose” on grandkids’ activities.
*We usually go back for about 10 days before Christmas. We love the early Christmas because they don’t have to leave for another gathering & the grandkids have their “first” Christmas with us. Plus the travel is cheaper. I even have the house decorated & the tree up before we leave in the fall.
*We give them the option of receiving either Christmas gifts or a flight here during their spring break. They’ve chosen the flight every year so far. It is SO fun to have them here and we get them 24/7.
It has worked for us for the last 9 years and we feel like the luckiest people on the planet. That being said, it’s not for everyone. Best of luck to you.[/QUOTE

For us it’s California where all of our kids and toddler grandson are, but doing Christmas with them early every December in Calif is such a great idea because 2 of our 3 kids were always juggling Christmas with their spouses’ families and us on Christmas, so they’d all be happy to have Christmas with us early. Thanks for the great idea! We’re new here, and spending our first Christmas ever without the kids since we’re closing escrow on our home on 12/15, so we have to stay here. Now though we’ll feel better knowing there’s a plan for future Christmases. And thankfully there’s also FaceTime.