View Single Post

Old 12-13-2022, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
So all of these people from Massachusetts who have mentioned Essex House in Pierson are wrong?

I've been to Essex House several times and I can tell you that it's as good or better than what I used to get in eastern Massachusetts.

Chinese food is subject to where you come from. It's different everywhere. I'm from the Boston area and got used to a certain style of Chinese food. I've had it in San Francisco where it is supposed to be the best in the U.S. and I didn't like it as much as the stuff I got at home. I've also had Chinese food in China and I would guess that most Americans would hate it.

The same goes for pizza. The pizza and Chinese food here are fine. They are just not what we are used to.
Couldn't agree with you more. It seems on this sight, some think if it's not from home, it's not any good. I was born and raised in one of the country's seafood capitals, New Bedford. I worked on the waterfront most of my adult life. Worked on fishing boats as a young adult, and for almost 30 years with an electric utility. Seemed like most parts of the city had their own seafood restaurant, and everything was fresh off the boat. As kids, we would rake quahogs and bay scallops in the Westport River and on the local beaches, and bring them home and eat them. In the summer we would bring in hundreds of blue crabs at the plant, and give them to anyone who wanted them. Now, with all that being said, the fried clams I've had at Sam's St Johns, were fine, just different. For anyone from Southern Ma. and R.I., McCray's in Westport (they retired years ago) were the best I've ever had, but that was more about the coating than the clams. Luckily, a close friend worked there during high school and told me how to make them, although it's too much work to make them. As far steamed clams, where I come from, we have clam boils, which are more Portuguese style with potatoes, onions, corn, hot dogs, pork sausage, Portuguese sausage, and sometimes cod or haddock. I saw and interview with the owner of Legal Seafood, and he said a clam boil isn't a clam boil without the Portuguese sausage.It's similar to a low country boil, but with more spice, and they're both good. While I prefer the food from home, I've been able to find good seafood, Chinese, pizza and Italian here. I do like the Mexican here more.