View Single Post

Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

My Mother had a total replacement at age 84. A friend told he not to have it done because she was no better off after the replacement than before. Well Mom found out that the lady did not do the physical therapy and that was the results.

Well Mom had the operation on a Wednesday and walked out of hospital on Saturday. For a few days she had her finger on the juice bottle button for another shot of pain medication but that was short lived.

I was shocked that when she was discharged the doctor told her see you in a month and remember to do the therapy. Call if you have any problems. A month? Are you kidding me? I was thinking 3 days for a follow-up.

Well Mom did the therapy and it was painful at first but every day got better and better. Range of movement continued to improve. She could see the progress and that made her try even harder.

At the end of 30 days I take he to see the doctor and she walks in caring the walker as she did not need it. The doctor came unglued at he not using the walked. He wanted her to use it for balance and she thought is was for total support. Well she caved into him and at least used it to get to the car but it saw very limited use after that.

The key to this operation is the therapy. You have to do it or you will have problems. Mom ended up with more movement in her knee than she ever had. She was never active in any sports or anything that required excerise but she knew what would happen if she did not do the therapy from her friend.

Good luck with the replacement.