View Single Post

Old 01-10-2023, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSpasm View Post
There's a very good chance you can get on Lopez, Hacienda Hills, or Southern Oaks, even without putting in a request. With a guest pass, Lopez is $78, Hacienda is $71.50, and Southern Oaks is $83 (yikes!).
Here are my rankings of outside courses, as a 9 handicap player. The caveat is that I've not played any of these recently, but I've played them all many times and have read all the recent reviews in preparation of playing outside the Villages until June 1st, as I do every year now.
1. Deer Island - great course, great condition. If you're not good, bring lots of balls. If the day is warm enough, you get to see gators too! It's worth the hour or so drive. $50
2. Mission Inn/El Campeon - close by, rare elevation changes, always great condition, but very difficult, not for crappy players. $85
3. Mission Inn/Las Colinas - close by, always in great shape. Surprisingly, $75, thought it would be cheaper than that.
4. Harbor Hills - close by, elevation changes, good condition. $50
5. Don't go to these nearby courses, for various reasons - Spruce Creek South, Stonecrest, The Lakes Golf Club.
The Lakes is a short course, almost "Executive", and not in that great condition, although improving. I wouldn't rule out Spruce Creek or Stonecrest. Stonecrest has new ownership and has done a good job of bringing the course back to playable conditions. Spruce Creek did a lot of overseeding and have greens that are in near perfect condition. You can play either for half the cost (or less) than a Villages championship course.