View Single Post

Old 01-14-2023, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,732 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2delunatics View Post
Greetings:

I'm very new to the TV and this forum, so please forgive if this has been addressed.

I've noticed a lot of road debris in the local roadways, bike lanes, various intersections.....ie: gravel, hunks of metal, old accident debris, etc......and I'm wondering which branch of local government is responsible for the cleanup of the roads..... both in the City of Wildwood specifically (both in/out of TV) and/or Sumter County? I've seen this road debris at many intersections from 301 and Marsh Bend to Morse and 44. Does the City of Wildwood and/or Sumter County have a street sweeper(s) that anyone has seen? Is there a regular seasonal road sweeping schedule perhaps? Like I mentioned, I'm very new here and just wondering.... this forum is GREAT!!

Thanks much.
The grounds maintenance people do pick up trash that is in the ditches when they mow (in the summer, once a week...winter? I don't know). I don't know about stuff on the actual street. One would think that, if it poses a danger (sharp metal can cut tires), then law enforcement removes it, but that is just a supposition.

One very large gripe I (and others) have is the amount of trash on and on either side of the MMPs. That stuff isn't tossed out of car windows but is supplied by fellow Villagers, one can assume almost exclusively: various items chucked near bushes, hedges, on the path, or in areas that the maintenance guys don't mow. Empty liquor bottles, especially those little ones (one ounce?), seems to be a biggie, but I've seen larger ones as well; we used to call 'em "half-pints" back in the day but I don't know how much the contain now. Empty beer cans. Or not-so-empty beer cans; I've seen a couple of cans that apparently served as ashtrays until their owners decided to chuck them out of the cart. Lots of disposable vaping pods. A still-smoldering cigar. A pair of men's undershorts. Empty Styrofoam coffee cups. Something that very much resembled a used prophylactic. Broken sunglasses. And so on. Most or all "donated" by people who, if such detritus was strewn on THEIR lawn or sidewalk, would be yowling to high heaven. You don't see it from the street, but it is there, and very definitely does NOT fit the image of Neat, Clean and Orderly that is a pretty big selling point for prospective home buyers.

Maybe a volunteer organization? Something like the Adopt-A-Highway volunteer cleanups one sees in various states? I've been thinking about that.