View Single Post

Old 01-25-2023, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Shouldn't be a problem for anyone, as long as they are qualified.
I think we can all assume that the doctors who practice here ARE qualified. That says nothing about their experience, personal interaction skills, or the quality of their various support personnel. But they do meet minimum standards to practice in Florida, or else they wouldn't be here.

But that is only part of the issue. Another part is that The Villages (and Florida in general) seems to be a jumping-off point for Doctors, qualified CNPs and other medical personnel to get their start in America. So far here I've been served by a total of six such; three MDs, two CNPs, and two dentists. Doctors are from the Philippines, Mexico and Kosovo, CNPs from the Philippines and Columbia, and dentists from Canada and Ukraine. Other than one doctor (and my dissatisfaction was not so much with him as with his "support" staff) their service has been excellent. But one of the dentists and one of the CNPs have already moved on, and my current MD is looking to move his practice out of TV. From what I've read here and information I've gathered from speaking to to others, turnover of staff is a significant issue. It is a pretty human thing that, as you advance and gain experience, you want to go where the pay is better.

I have a niece who, next month, will be entering her first year of two of medical residency; her first year in the Philippines (where she is in med. school) and her second year of Thailand, which is her country of origin. Her plan after that is to come to America to work as a G.P. for a year or so, then go on to obtain a more specialized ticket. Her plan is Florida at this point for three reasons; family, climate and numerous openings for doctors. But if she follows her plan, she won't be here long. Greener pastures will beckon.

As they have apparently for a lot of the doctors who practice, or who have practiced, in The Villages.