View Single Post

Old 01-28-2023, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default January 28, 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster.

Space Shuttle Challenger disaster - Wikipedia

I recall I was working at Information Access Company (IAC) in Belmont, CA when this happened and the Editors were busy creating indexing terms for the IAC products that covered national and international news.

This company sold various indexes to libraries across the United States.

My supervisor Bob Lee was in tears much of the day, unfortunately as were many of us.

I ran into a few of these IAC workers again in 1989 when I was attending the American Association of Law Libraries convention in Reno, Nevada having just graduated from the U of MN Law School and while working at their law library and indexing all the computer files on WESTLAW. WESTLAW was a product of West Publishng Company which is based in the Twin Cities of Minnesota.

Believe, that, unfortunately Bob Lee had passed by then. I do not believe many of my fellow IAC workers thought I would get through law school at the U of MN as one of my supervisors had also graduated from the U of MN Law School.

The best friend of my girlfriend/roommate in development in the Summer of 1989 worked for NASA as a computer programmer or something like that. I do not believe she was there in 1986 though.

Events like these and their anniversaries do bring back memories.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 01-28-2023 at 04:48 PM.