View Single Post

Old 02-03-2023, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,913 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I have Xfinity internet, category "fast" at 400 mbs.

My modem...an Aris Surfboard 586141....and have never hit 100 mbs yet.....ussually runs around 40 mbs. Has not been a problem until recently when I am running streaming options and experience the spinning wheel of death/pausing/loading and some no connection at all. Hence the need to pursue higher modem speeds.

I called Xfinity today. He did a modem restart and ran an analysis to see if there were any connection issues outside/inside/et al.

He had me move my modem away from the window to a more inside location. That brought the speed from around 40 mbs to around 80 mbs.......still a long way from 400!!

There were no connection issues. He "suggested" using an Xfinity" modem ($15 per month). I advised him I was already paying Xfinity too much and was looking to fix that.

My plan at the moment is to pursue Xfinity for internet (assuming I can been adequate speeds). I will go with Apple TV, using Direct TV stream for programming and recording....and of course the myriad of other apps for other "stuff".

Any suggestions regarding my current inability to get the high enough speed from Xfinity.

It has been a long study for me but cord cutting is just around the corner!!

I don't think the modem is your problem. I have the Xfinity Internet at 800 mbps and I usually get that speed, even on wifi devices. Blaming your modem is a convenient way for Xfinity to shift the blame to you. That is why I rent an Xfinity modem. You may want to rent a modem for a month or so, and you can always return it. Note that, if you increase your speed to above 600 mbps, you may need to upgrade the modem.