View Single Post

Old 02-03-2023, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 2,135 Posts

I'm getting about 90mbps over wifi from my Xfinity modem (Arris TG1682G) and 75mbps plan. I use speedtest.net to look at my speeds.

I have streamed without buffering on as little as 10mbps in my old house.

Is there any chance you have a network extender in the house? The device I have does not have nearly the throughput that the modem does. If I happen to get attached to the extender instead of the modem then my speeds are much lower.

I can't think of a reason why moving the modem away from the window should make any difference unless you are testing the speed from the other end of the house and this just moved it closer. If that is the case then maybe try testing the speed with a device that is close to your modem. If the problem is the distance then that's fairly easy to correct.

*** Is your modem a 586141 or an SB6141? The SB6141 appears to be wired only; does the modem have wifi capability or just wired? Is there a separate wifi router involved?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 02-03-2023 at 03:13 PM.