View Single Post

Old 02-05-2023, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

A lot of misinformation. 350Mb is not the maximum you will get over wifi, far from it. I get over 800Mb on my iPhones and iPads.
Like I stated early on, it’s not magic that you will get fast speeds in every room by getting a certain providers service. You get 1 modem router from the vendor and if you sit right next to it you will get decent speeds, but when you start streaming wireless to your bedrooms or other rooms and to the outside, your performance will be either much slower or even nonexistent.
Wired is the best way with using multiple switches to get max speeds. I use 3 mesh network routers, 3 switches, and get 1G speeds in each room wired, 800Mb wireless.
You also need to make sure your routers are up to date. Remember the 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax and wifi6 and wifi6e? Cat 5e is rated at 1G speeds which is plenty fast for an internal network.
Also, the devices you use on the network have limitations on the speeds you get. A 10 year old device will get you 10Mb speeds whereas my latest iPhone 14 pro will get you over 800Mb. Again, look at your computer/iPhone/iPad network specs and it will show what spec it supports: 802.11XX.
Let me also say that hiring the geek squad or xfinity/spectrum/galaxy to install your network is like going to a barber shop to get your taxes prepared!

About the post: “95% of all buffering problems is do to slow Internet speed. Here's how Internet speed works if you subscribe to 600MB the only way you're gonna get that speed is if you hook your device directly to the router with a cable. if you stream it wirelessly then you only get 300MB” is not true at all. You have multiple networks in your house: internet connection to the WWW, wireless, and internal. You buy bandwidth from the ISP and that speed is ONLY involved with traffic going to the WWW, period, this speed cap has nothing to do with your wireless speeds or your internal network speeds. And your wireless speeds have nothing to do with the WWW speed or your internal network speeds. You design each part of the network differently. 1/2 or more of my network traffic stays within my internal/wireless network because I stream from my servers or my home automation devices talk to my internal servers/hubs. So I designed my internal network around many switches that are designed for 1G or faster networks. Same goes for wireless, I get 800+Mb on each of my devices (iPhones/iPads) that talk to my servers on my internal network, nothing to do with my outside internet speeds. Copper networks will have more latency than fiber networks provide. Also you will never see the same upload speeds on a copper network as you will get on a fiber network. Some of your devices on your network only support the 2.4ghz channels and that determines on network speeds and quality of signal

Last edited by rsmurano; 02-05-2023 at 09:21 AM.