Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Nora Ephron wrote it

Hi Girls,

Fellow baby boomer Diane Sawyer just interviewed Nora Ephron on "Good Morning America." The movie "Julie and Julia" opens Friday. Nora Ephron wrote and directed it.

In the course of the interview, Diane and Nora got into the topic of women reinventing themselves later in life. Julia Child's famous cookbook was not published until Julia was 49. (Ohhhhhhhh, to be 49 again and know what I know now.)

I like Nora Ephron's writing and have been a fan since "Heartburn." I did have a few issues with her book "I Feel Bad About My Neck." Overall, it was fine, but got just a little too into a, "Hey, I'm Nora Ephron and you're not" attitude. I guess that book just went down the autobiography road when I was hoping for more of an "Everywoman" theme. The "Everywoman" theme was there though. And I sure loved the title. The neck is what gets us first. The legs are the last to go.

Darn it, I am digressing here.........and possibly being redundant. I think I talked about that book once before somewhere in all these buzillion posts I have written........I came in here this morning to talk about this movie and got sidetracked thinking I need to give Nora Ephron a few tips. Geez. Whatinthehellisthematterwithme? And I really do like Nora Ephron's writing. And also her quick, smartassed comments during interviews. When talking about jobs and how things can change, Nora said, "When men are dissatisfied, they buy boats. Women reinvent themselves."

Anyway, back to the movie. This is one of those movies where you should call up your girlfriends and say, "Hey, let's meet for the movie and then after, go out for some wonderful food and wine and gossip. (Hey, I just picked up somewhere that the word 'gossip' comes from the tradition of inviting your dinner guests to join you in the drawing room or the parlor or wherever, after dinner, to "go sip" a little something rather potent and talk. .......I am digressing yet again.....

Anyway, I brought you the trailer for the movie. (And speaking of word origins, I still do not get that trailer thing. Trailers come after. I do not understand the etymology of using the word 'trailer' like this. Of course, I also do not know when the word 'fun' suddenly became an adjective. But now I use it that way, too.) Oh well, here's the trailer for "Julie and Julia." Call your friends that you can actually see and get together for this one.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8147217

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-05-2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: clarifying the quote from Nora