Thread: Capital Gains
View Single Post

Old 02-13-2023, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
3k a year max loss claim though....
Not true. If you had a $20k gain and a $20k loss in the same year, the loss wipes out the gain. if you had more losses than gains, you carry over the losses and can use $3k of those losses each following year until they are used up.

Some poster always posts that you should sell your funds and buy etf’s instead. Why? There aren’t any more etf’s than active/index funds and you won’t make anymore $$$ in etf’s than in the other funds. The main advantage of an etf is how/when you buy and sell them, etf’s are traded like stocks, instantly vs waiting for the close of the market.
I got out of managed funds over a decade ago because of the expense costs and the turnover within the fund. Look at your active funds and you can see a huge turnover ratio (I’ve seen 400% before) and you pay for this turnover. I’m a boglehead, all index funds except for a couple stocks.
I sold everything in my non-taxable accounts over a year ago because I saw the country is in such a mess.
Now I get in a stock or index fund when I see a rally coming and sell when I see the future looks bleak.
For example, bought apple 3 weeks ago, went up over $20 a share and sold it all last week before it started going down. I’ve done this off and on in a couple of index funds over the last year with big gains. You need to be more diligent in your investing these days.
I’ve learned: Pigs get slaughtered in the market and leave your emotions out of investing