Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I met Nora Ephron once - she is an amazing person. Saw Julia and Julie this weekend. Loved it - could watch it again. Meryl Streep was soooo Julia and the actress who plays Julie - Amy??? was great too.
jojo, I was so caught up in the my butterball angst and my power tool plots last night that I missed this post of yours. You met Nora Ephron! If ever I meet you, please expect to be quizzed at great length about every aspect of your meeting with Nora Ephron, every nuance, every word. Oh my! I think Nora Ephron is a genius with dialogue and timing. I just looked her up and found that she just turned 68. Somewhat older than I am, but I feel like she has been around during all my formative adult years. I guess she has.

Actually, I did something that I never do. I went to see "Julie and Julia" the day it opened. I just had to see it. No time to line up a girl thing. I wanted to see it NOW.

And so on Friday night, Mr. Boomer went with me to the movie that I figured would be a chick flick. I could see though that Mr. Boomer had hope in his eyes. He said to me twice on the way there, "Julia Child was a spy wasn't she?"

Actually, it turned out that Mr. B liked it, too. (It might have been because of all that really fattening food in it.) But he had to admit that he liked it. Well.....he said it was OK. Pretty good. Some such thing.

"Julie and Julia" is one movie that I will go to see again. (I rarely do that.) But for this one, I will. For me, it is so much about the dialogue. Nora Ephron comes up with the best scripts, full of wonderful, funny lines. (That is also why I can watch "The Golden Girls" repeatedly. Whoever wrote those scripts was also exceptional with dialogue. I even liked "The Golden Girls" back when they seemed so ancient to me. Geez! What happened to that?)

So anyway, back to those diet tips confessions. I have got to get rid of last winter's 10 pounds. I cannot do that every time winter comes rolling around. (Yet another reason to winter in Florida.) And I need to lose more than just that 10. It is not like I was a stick to start with. What is it they say? "Built for comfort not for speed."

A year ago almost, in that thread about that dress, I finally showed you my picture, which I later took out when I got all bashful. And then in May of this year, I confessed about how I needed to fit into that dress again to do a reading at another niece's wedding. (-- other side of the family so I could wear the same dress. The dress was turning into the uniform of the reading aunt maybe.) Well, I did not report that I actually managed to get into that dress again, but I had to wonder if I looked like a sausage in its casing. (That woman who invented Spanx deserves every million she made though.)

Well, anyway, two pounds gone from that V8 thing I told you about last night. V8 and colorful food. I sure miss that white food. That is why I had to indulge in that Graeter's vanilla ice cream yesterday. But hey, hot fudge is a color isn't it?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-10-2009 at 09:06 AM.